Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Bacchae

Most of Elliott Hundley's artwork is based on mythology and classical texts. I thought a lot of his art was interesting, but one of his works titled Eyes that run like leaping fire, which was made in 2011, really stood out to me. This piece was created with wood, sound board, string, pins, paper, photographs, plastic, and wire. His "big idea" seems to have something to do with taking care of the environment.

One main denotation that I noticed for Eyes that run like leaping fire was that it was made almost entirely of recyclable or natural materials. The connotation of this would be that Hundley cares about the environment.

Another one of my favorite pieces by Hundley is Swarming over, which was made out of similar materials that Eyes that run like leaping fire used. It also resembles nature, which matches with Hundley's "big idea" of the environment.

1 comment:

  1. The collage aspect of these pieces is astounding to me. I think you have the right idea by identifying the environment as the big idea here. Other people have talked about myth or meaning making, which I think could fit too.

    ReplyDelete